Wednesday, August 6, 2014

God's Love Is Immeasurable...

"The love of God is like the ocean, you can see its beginnings, but you cannot imagine its width and depth. God loves you immensely in a way you can never imagine"- Ritu Ghatourey


Have you ever stood at the edge of the ocean, looked out, and contemplated its vastness? I mean,  really thought about the reality that you cannot see the other side? As I was walking along the beach this evening I did just that and I understood why the vastness of the sea is such a great metaphor for the love God has for us. 

As I stood in the sand this evening watching the sun go down over my beautiful state of South Carolina, it became obvious that I couldn't see the end of the ocean....its just kept going and going. If I walked a few steps forward into the ocean I was still not able to see where this beautiful body of water ended, and if I took a few steps backwards into the dunes the edge of the ocean stayed unchanged-immeasurable. Did you see what I did there? Stepping forward or stepping back, stepping towards or stepping away from God, like the edge of the ocean, does not change the amount of His love. It is constant. It is immeasurable. 

As humans we try to quantify the love of God. We try to say to others and often to ourselves, if I did or did not do a certain action, God's love would increase or decrease accordingly. That is wrong. God's love is absolutely NOT quantifiable. It is, however, qualifiable- a yes or no answer...and I promise you no matter how hard you try to make God love you more or less, the amount of love He has for you never changes- it just is. 

Next time you are at the seaside (shout out to England) stand at the edge of the ocean, breathe deep and just look across the water...see the other side? You can't because the ocean goes on forever and so does the love of the Father for His children. Even you. And even me.

No comments: